Tuesday, April 1, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

There's something special about the Pacific Northwest. We got to go back there for a short vacation and bask in the beautiful, wet, green beauty. So fun to be with family. Then the rest of the trip took us to sunny St. George, Utah were we spent time with family again swimming, playing volleyball, talking, reading, riding a motorcycle (awesome!) and watching some March Madness. Vacations are great. Being at my old "home" and then coming home to our current "home" really made me think about the old cliche-"There's no place like home". I find myself enjoying memories more and more and living with a sense of nostalgia. It's nice to look back and enjoy all over again all the good memories. Reminds me of the memorable quote that Thomas S. Monson loves to share: "God gave us memories, that we might have June roses in the December of our lives". Thanks family for all the fun memories!
PS: The book that I've been reading recently is "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism"--a fascinating look into the inner workings of the Church and its leaders during such an important time period. It's also been enlightening to read about various personalities and problems that you'd never know otherwise. The "Church News" will never quite hold the same interest for me again. :)
PSS: As always, we're looking forward to General Conference weekend coming up right away. It's been fun to speculate who will be called as the next apostle...

4 comments:

Sally F said...

Jeez Spence, you're not even thirty yet, I hope you're not in the December of your life already! I know what you mean, though. As much as I know this is where we're supposed to be right now, and as much as I'm enjoying it, there truly is no place like home. The fir trees, mountaintops, rivers, and even the cloudy skies call to me so strongly, even here in Texas!

Clean Cut said...

Ha! I was afraid that the "Decembers of our lives" part might be taken that way. It's not some big season I'm in, but simply the recognition of good times past that I can't go back and visit right now, except through the memories. Whether it is a beautiful sunset, a trip to the zoo, sitting around the Christmas tree as a family--these all help each of our days be filled with gratitude and love. Most of these memories have been within the last 6 months. It's more of a reflective recognition, I suppose, of how great life is rather than lamentations about having a bad day every once in awhile. I'm thankful to God for giving us memories to cheer us up no matter what. Having said let, I have felt the need to be more optimistic more of the time, in addition to realistic. President Hinckley seemed to have figured out that balance quite well. I'd sure like to be a lot more like him.

JAMIE said...

I just was so glad to see you Spence..your blog has become quite "popular" hasn't it? I guess I didn't get that quote. I thought of a december of my life not having to be old, but a hard time...if you have to be old to experience hard times, then how can you handle them if you never have up to that point?

I feel like parts of my life have been chunks of the "december of my life." I appreciate your attitude about everything.

IT is an interesting feeling to see a place you lived and experienced so much. I felt like that when I came back from Arizona- when we got back from the trip, I had a hard time. Not only was it a blizzard and snowing like crazy, but I instantly got sick. I wish I could be on vaca for forever, but then I really wouldn't be dealing with life would I?

We need to see family more. It is good for my heart (maybe not my breathing as my family just stands while I nearly die)...I love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Love that new picture. I just put your Riverwalk pic on my computer wallpaper. I've always thought of that quote meaning that the beauty of the June flowers are good memories during the cold Decembers, and our beautiful memories can be thought of anytime.Deep!!
Love,