Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Devil Made Me Post It

Fantastic article in the Mormon Times yesterday entitled "The Devil Made Me Post It". A very clever way, a la "The Srewtape Letters", to get a most important point across.

One quote: "We want the opposite of what Robert L. Millet, another BYU professor, would call a good post on the Internet: "A positive expression of what I believe and what I feel strongly about and invite others to ask me questions and then respond as kindly and as generously and as openly as I can -- recognizing there are things about which we disagree. And that's OK; that's OK if we disagree. We don't have all the answers and no one does."

Millet's ideas are dangerous. He actually has said, "We live in a world that begs for people to better understand one another and that just isn't accomplished by contention and confrontation." He even sees the possibility that people can get to know each other: "There is so much need to better understand one another and to get to know people better. It is very difficult to demonize someone you know well. It is very difficult to marginalize someone who is your friend." As if there is something wrong with demonizing someone! Ha!"

1 comment:

Sher said...

Thanks for you comment on my blog. It's nice to know other people feel the same way I do, even if NONE of them are in my ward.
Thanks,
Sher