Friday, March 27, 2009

Props to The Tabernacle Choir and New Associate Director Ryan Murphy

I'm such a huge fan of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I also deeply admire their director, Mack Wilberg. There's no doubt he was the right man to fill the big shoes Craig Jessop left when he resigned and moved on to become the head of the choral department at Utah State University (which was apparently his dream). Mack Wilberg has a huge reputation internationally for his contribution to choral music. I felt lucky that I got to sing under his direction in the BYU Men's Chorus for a year--his last year at BYU before moving on to the Tabernacle Choir. He's not only a brilliant arranger and conductor, but he is a first-rate gentleman.

Today he finally got some permanent help. Ryan Murphy was announced as Associate Music Director, filling the spot vacated when Mack Wilberg moved up to be head Music Director for the choir. Ryan was the young and very talented pianist who accompanied the BYU choirs under Wilberg's direction while I was at BYU, so he's definitely not a stranger to Dr. Wilberg. I think it's very exciting news. He's a young talent with energy and enthusiasm to add to the Choir.

He said: “It is a dream come true to work with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and to be associated with the caliber of musicians here serving the Church. It will be an honor to assist Dr. Mack Wilberg, and I look forward to working with him to touch the hearts of a wide variety of people, cultures, ages and beliefs.”

Congratulations to Ryan and to everybody involved in the choir. We wish you the best. Keep up the fantastic work!

4 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah! Another Men's Chorus alum! I was in it under Sis. Hall in 2001-2002. Also did Concert Choir and University Singers.

Thanks for posting this - I was unaware that Ryan had been selected. I don't know anything about him but I think he arranged "Pilgrim's Song" that we sang many times at BYU. It's on "The Road Home" CD if you haven't heard it. Awesome piece!

Clean Cut said...

How interesting, Tom. I actually sang on "The Road Home" CD. I too sang under Sister Hall, in the BYU Concert Choir from 2001 to 2003. I forgot that Ryan was the one who arranged "Pilgrim's Song". One of my favorites!

Tom said...

Haha. I thought you looked familiar, but I talked myself out of it. I was in CC from 2002-2004. I'll drop you an email sometime soon.

Rich said...

We've been fortunate to live in Ryan Murphy's sister ward. We have often heard him play (wow!) and also see him share some of his wisdom and abundant talent teaching our children.

Our loss is the Church's gain. I look forward to hearing more great music you all get to create together.