Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Climax Of My Calling

Several months ago our ward was split and a new ward was created. I can't say that everything about the change has been great, but I can say unequivocally that the calling I received in the new ward has turned out to be great. Although I must admit that initially it was a complete shock and I had my doubts (and admittedly I still miss some “grown up” thought-provoking conversations) it really has turned into a perfect fit—and not without its perks.

I was called as the ward primary music director. And I must say that I was (and am) impressed with the novelty of the choice made by the new bishopric. Yes, I'm male. In fact, when my wife was sustained as the gospel doctrine teacher and me as the primary music director, some people thought they had mixed up the callings! But it was quite easy to work through my initial doubts after feeling the Spirit confirm this as something I needed to do. Now I couldn't imagine a better calling! It requires a lot of energy, but it’s a complete blast.

Well, the climax of my calling came today when our ward put on the primary program in sacrament meeting. The kids did the best they'd ever done before, and I couldn't have been more pleased. As their director, I was also surprised by how much I felt like I was in "the zone." I appreciate that feeling both from a choir background and an athletic background (I was a first team all-conference offensive tackle back in high school when football was life.)

The theme of the primary program this year was "I Know My Savior Lives", and the program was completely Christ-centered. If anyone not of our faith had been in attendance, there would have been no doubt that we believe in Jesus Christ. Among the main songs we sang today were "I Know That My Savior Loves Me" (a new favorite), "He Sent His Son" (a longtime favorite), "Come Follow Me", "I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus" (a favorite ever since my mom--the primary director at the time--taught it to me when I was a kid in primary), and we concluded the meeting with both children and congregation singing "I Know That My Redeemer Lives".

Both the spoken parts and the music sung were a phenomenal testament of the faith we as Latter-day Saints have in Jesus Christ. And even better, this testimony was humbly expressed by the most pure in heart—the children. Because it is often too easy for me to sometimes focus on some of the things I don't necessarily care for about church, today was a wonderful reminder of all that is good; the best in Mormonism. Would that more Sundays could be like this.

7 comments:

Papa D said...

That's a wonderful calling, CC. I've served in the primary on multiple occasions, and those experiences are among my favorite.

wvs said...

A son-in-law received this calling a few years ago. At the time I wondered about it. But it was a great break for him from a string of EQP and similar assignments. He did well and his knowledge of Church music expanded in a different dimension. His enthusiasm benefited the kids and his own children. Inspired I think. Like you, his background was a good fit.

Richard Alger said...

I was our ward's primary director several years ago. I loved it. I have been a teacher in Primary for the last year and a half. I am often moved by the new song, "I know that my Savior Loves me".

I am so happy that you had a great primary program. Ours is next Sunday.

Cynthia L. said...

Primary chorister is totally the best calling in the church. It's great fun AND very spiritual AND I'm convinced has more lasting impact on the lives of those you serve than just about any other calling. Who can remember a single sharing time lesson? But who can't sing a primary song to comfort themselves in hard times?

Clean Cut said...

Cynthia L., I completely agree. You nailed it. Thanks for your comment!

Rich--we share a common connection!

I too am often moved by "I Know That My Savior Loves Me". There's just something special about it.

wvs--Looking back, I believe there was inspiration in this decision as well. In more ways than one.

Paul said...

I had a brief stint as primary chorister for a few weeks after being released as bishop and before being called to the high council -- talk about a little bit of paradise!

Jill said...

This is awesome. This calling is all you.